Every society’s life revolves around religion, so the religious beliefs Of Ileogbo people also mean. Whether it is believed in God, a god, or a particular way of living, man practices religion. It is one of the significant sources of harmony for the people of Leogbo and is a contentious issue in some quarters. Religion on its own has to do with the means of worshipping God. The standards are diverse as there is no compulsion in beliefs as guaranteed by the Nigerian Constitution.
The most predominant mode of worship in Ileogbo is Islam. About 60% of the population practices this religion. Christianity as a mode of prayer is also present in the town. People who practice this religion may make up 35% of the total population. Finally, a small percentage of the people also practice traditional religion. Worshippers of Ifa, Ogiyan, Egungun, Sango, and other deities fall into this category. It will look into this from the three (3) religious angles: Christianity, Islam, and traditional religion.
Christianity in Ileogbo
It can trace the adventure of Christianity to Ileogbo to the unalloyed effort of Rev. D.O. Coates of the African Church in 1912. History has it that he gathered a momentum congregation to preach the gospel and spread the tentacles of Christianity in the town. Among the gathering was Pa. Samuel Oyesiji from Balogun’s Compound, Pa. John Akinola from Olujogun’s compound, and Pa. Daniel Akinrinsoye from Otun’s Compound.
As it was mandatory then for religious bodies to have official recognition, the church was officially and legally established under the law in 1918.
There was a misunderstanding in 1925, and a faction of the church seceded and established the Methodist Church of Nigeria. Some of those who broke away were: Pa. Abraham Adeyemi, Late Pa. Damel Akinrinsoye, Pa. Salako from Alapola’s compound, Late Joseph Akinlade, and Late Paul Afonrinwo from Olujogun’s compound. The efforts made by Pa. Amos Jolaoye and Apostle Bolaji led to the establishment of the Cherubim and Seraphim (C/S) church in 1937. They were until then members of the Methodist church in Ileogbo.
There were more factions in the denomination (C/S) in 1954. One section left the mother church to create the C and S Church, Oke Igbala, while the other group remained there. It was nicknamed OKE SIONI for a more precise identity. The origin of Christ Apostolic Church in Lleogbo can be traced to two (2) Ijesha men, late Pa. Joseph Orire and Pa. Aje, in 1942, who until then were members of the African Church.
The passion of late Pa. David Adebisi and the successful alliance with the pupils of Baptist Day School, Iwo, who were indigenes of Lleogbo, gave birth to the Baptist Church in 1945. The Church of God was founded in 1941 with the combined efforts of Pastor Ogunderu from Ijebu, Mr. John Ajayi, and Mr Solomon Oyeleke from Age’s Compound. The establishment of Jehovah’s Witness can be traced to a man from Agbaleke’s Compound named Pa. John Komolafe and his two friends, Amos Afolabi and the late Paul Olatunde.
Christianity started to spread its wings in the town, and it encouraged the establishment of a unified body named IGBAGBO PARAPO in 1937. Consequent to advancing education and exposure to what is obtainable in other towns, Igbagbo Parapo was later renamed the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN).
The pioneer Chairman of IGBAGBO PARAPO in Ileogbo was Pa. Adegorite Ezekiel of Methodist Church, Ileogbo. The pioneer Patron was Mr Adegboye Gabriel of the Church of the Lord from Akogun’s compound, Ileogbo, while Hon. Opakanmi Johnson of Alapola’s compound was the first Secretary. He served in that capacity for 30 years.
The expansion of Christianity also led to the flowering of educational and social activities. The activities of CAN led to the growth of many churches in the town so that by 2014, several churches identified with CAN in the town.
African Church, lleogbo, Baptist Church, lleogbo, C & S Oke Sioni, lleogbo, Christ Apostolic Church, No. I lleogbo, Church of the Lord, lleogbo, Christ Apostolic Church, No. 2 lleogbo, Christ Apostolic Church, No. 3 lleogbo, Christ Apostolic Church, No. 4 lleoC & S Oke Anu, lleogbo, C & S Imole, lleogbo, C & S Oke Ayo, lleogbo, Liberation Church, Ileogbo, Christ Gospel Mission, C & S Oke Isegun, Love and Unity Church, Salvation Army, Christ Redemption International Evangelical Ministry, Foursquare Gospel Church, the Great Christ Church, the Apostolic Church, C & S Ile Ibukun, Anglican Church, Gospel Baptist Church, Kingdom Life Church, Latter Glory Church, Hope Restoration Church, C & S Oke Igbala, Methodist Church, lleogbo.
In the wake of the team-bond enjoyed so far and the need for headship, the body (CAN) appoints some personalities considered worthy as Grand Patron, Patron, and Patroness. Chief R.A Nafiu of Methodist Church is the present Grand Patron. Hon. Johnson Opakanmi of St Mary’s African Church (Patron), Rev. Jonathan Olayemi Oyeleke of Liberation Evangelical Church, Prince G.AAderibigbe of Baptist Church, Mr Ademola Kehinde of Baptist Church, and Prophet ZA Oyaleke of C & S Oke Zion are the patrons. Deaconess R.O. Adisa of C.A.C. No.3, Mrs Ajao Dorcas Olusina of the Salvation Army, and Mrs Adebisi Mary of St Mary’s African Church are among the patronesses.
Also Read: Popular Deities in Ileogbo
The Leogbo branch of CAN is blessed with great and visionary leaders, men and women who, at various times, brought growth and development to the Christian movement in the town. In particular, the following individuals have served as President: Pastor Olakanye of Christ Apostolic Church, No.1 Ileogbo, Prophet Abidoye of C & S Oke Igbala, Ven. Afolabi of St Mary African Church, Ven. Oriola of St Mary African Church, Reverend Ojo of Methodist Church, Major Ajao, Pastor Osunlana Abel between 2005 and 2006, Prophet Odewoye Abel between 2007 and 2008. Rev. Akintayo Akinsoji between 2009 and 2010, Pastor R.O Akanbi of Christ Gospel Mission between 2011 and 2012, and Prophet Ogunkemi between 2013 and 2014.
He was succeeded by the Ven. 10 Adeleke of St. Mary’s African Church. The cumulative efforts, commitment, and patriotic leadership style of these men of God were responsible for recognising CAN within the community even to date. But a tree, they say, cannot make a forest. In addition, each of the chairpersons had a unique set of executives that assisted their administration.
A list of the co-executives may not be detailed, but incomplete information is provided. However, some of the helping hands that assisted Pastor R.O Akanbi to pilot CAN between 2011 and 2012 were: very Mr Akomolafe Blessing was the Vice-Chairman, Apostle Sola Adisa was the General Secretary, Mrs Ola Dorcas was the Financial Secretary, Elder Ogunlakin R.O was the Treasurer, Deacon Amusan M.O was the Auditor, Rev. E.A. Falola was the Public Relations Officer, Mr Adeniran Taiwo was the Social Welfare Officer, Pastor Raimi was the Minister Secretary, Rev. Akinsoji Akintayo was Ex. Officio, Prophet Abel Odewoye was Ex. Officio and Pastor Abel Osunlana were also Ex.Prophet Ogunkemi succeeded Pastor Akanbi.
Some of the executive members who worked with him were: Pastor M.B.K. Lawal of Great Christ Church was the Vice-Chairman, Evangelist Iwinlade D.A. of St Mary’s African Church was the General Secretary, Elder Ojo S.A. of Baptist Church was the Financial Secretary, Elder Ogunlakin R.O of C.A.C. No. I was the Treasurer, Mr Johnson Oderinwale of Methodist Church was the Auditor, Mr Adeniran Taiwo of the Apostolic Church was the Welfare Officer, Aladura Oluniran Oludunmoye of K & S Church was the Oke Igbala served as Public Relations Officer, the Very Rev. Akomolafe Blessing as Minister Secretary, and Pastor R.Akanbi of Christ Gospel Mission served as Ex-Officio.
The Face of Islam in Ileogbo
The advent of Islam in the Western part of Nigeria cannot exclude the personality of Uthman Danfodio, specifically in the 19th century. Ilorin was the first city to be Islamized. Islam, it was discovered, was introduced to Leogbur around 1910 by traders from two different places. There were six (6) Ratibi mosques in the town (Teogho) before finding the Central Mosque in the 18th century. They were: Arowolo mosque, Alawe mosque, and Gbogbo mosque. Alapa mosque, Olade
I Demoni’s mosque and Lemomu’s mosque Around 1920, Jingiri was held, and Alapa Mosque was converted to become the central mosque. The Jingiri was covered with bere leave. It also learned that some Islamic religious leaders in Ileogbo received Khutuba from Imam Zakariyahu Inatapere in Ile Imam, Morodo Area, Iwo with Oke Mokanla Owo, a sheep, a cloth called Gogowa Some of the past Imams of the Lleogbo Central Mosque are Abdul Mumini Erukosi, Lukumoni Dimoni, Olola Ayuba, and Olola Samasi.
Others are enumerated below. Sheik Suberu Olaniyan Omoyelé, Sheik Sanusi Ajao from Demoni’s compound, now Imam’s compound. They, in a modern way, rebuilt the mosque in 1938. It was raised higher in 1947 when Sheik Ali Iyanda Suberu Omoyele was turbaned as Imam around 1936 and died around 1971.
Sheik Awesu Sanusi of Imam’s compound was turbaned in 1971 and died in 1977. Sheik Sanusi thus became the predecessor of Sheik Ibraheem Alasi of Eleki’s compound. He became an Imam in 1977 and died on July 9th, 1983.
The floor of the mosque was tarred during his time. Sheik Asifa Adeniyi from Sooko’s compound was turbaned on July 22nd, 1983 and died on September 21st, 1995. The mosque was repainted during his tenure and was succeeded by Sheik Hamzat Sanusi of Imam’s compound. He was turbaned on September 29th, 1995 and died in 2010. They demolished the old structure of the mosque in 1998.
His demise produced Sheik Nafiu Sifau Adeyemo of Sooko’s compound as the Imam of the Central Mosque and was turbaned on August 5th, 2010. Sheik Sifau has been the Imam to date.
The first Muslim primary school to be established in the town was Nawar-Ud-Deen primary school in 1952. The second, Arisar-Ud-Deen, was established in 1955. The first modern Arabic school was Samsu-Suidi-Islam at Oke Odo Telemu, established in 1966.
The first person to have observed the Hajj Pilgrimage to Mecca and Medina from Lleogbo was Alhaji Shittu Asanke Oladeebo. People thronged to the Lleogbo Railway Station to give him a rapturous welcome.
It should reference the efforts of some people here because of their unalloyed contribution to the building of the initial structure of the central mosque. Pa. Joe Olujogun was the chairman of the bricklayers who built the mosque.
Lawal Omoyele from Gbogbo’s compound was the Chairman of Mud Builders. Late Pa. Alimi Ogunkanmi dug pipe-borne water for the mosque. Some of the bricklayers and mud builders were Adedokun Amonta from Kanmo’s compound, Rauni from Mofelu’s compound, Olagoke Muibi from Balogun’s compound, Bello from Aato’s compound,
Many people have acted as Otun Imams in Lleogbo, Sanusi Ajao. Aliu Omoyele Lyanda. Awesu Sanusi, Asifa Aremu from Idiape, Asifatu Adeniyi from Sooko compound, Hamzat Sanusi, Rufai Ali, Nafiu Sifau Adeyemo. Abdulahi Omoyele from Gbogbo’s compound is the incumbent Otun Imam.
The past Chairmen coordinating the mosque activities were: Raimi Agbara, Alimi Ogunkanmi, Nafiu alias R.S. Alfa Ilias Yetu. The current Secretaries are Alfa Raimi of Otun’s compound, Alhaj Hamzat [Apena], and Akntayo Isamot. In contrast, the previous Secretaries were Aliu Oloyede [Agbokere], Tiamiyu Salawu [Ile Imam], Salami Olaniyi [Balogun], and Fatai Adeshina, who is the current Scribe. The past treasurers were Alhaji Sanusi Adratu Idiagbon, Alh. Hamzat Apena, and Alhaji Olaleke Abdulkareem.
There are six (6) famous mosques where Jumat prayer is observed every Friday in Lleogbo. The Central Mosque at Oja Ganhun (Oja Ale), the Anwar-Ul-Islam Mosque at Ode Olude. Al-Latif Mosque along Old Iwo Road, Hamadiyah Mosque at Eleki’s compound, Muslim Students Society of Nigeria Mosque along Old Iwo Road, and the one located inside the Ayedire Local Government Secretariat. These are also the Yibs for Del Kabir and Del Fitn prayers. The first yidi is located at Feste Ays compound along with Kota Mad, Leogbo, followed by Station Road. At the same time, the third belongs to Amadin, situated beside Unsem Star filling station around Akosaroad, Il.
The Ansar-Ul-Islam Mosque’s first Imam was Alhap Zakariyalu Ademsta from Eleki’s compound. After he died in 2012, he was succeeded by Alfa Amod Abdulrosheed from Olade’s compound. The incumbent Naibu Imam is Alfa Kabiru Oyelam from the Akinmoyero compound. The Organizing Chairman of the Masque is Alhaji Abdulroheem Adebayo of the Elerus compound. His Vice is Alhaji Gazali Oyelami from Akinmoyero’s compound, while Mr Suara Sangogbenro from Idiomo’s compound is the Scribe. Mr Hussein Shittu, from Balogun’s compound, is the treasurer.
The acceptance of Islam in the town has led to the proliferation of mosques in Lleogbo. The registered mosques are He Imam Mosque, Ile Otun’s Mosque, Oladunwo’s Mosque, Alawo’s Mosque, Apena/Aresa’s Mosque, Alawe’s Mosque, Oke Suna Iwo Road’s Mosque, Yetu’s Mosque. Olorunsogo Kuta Road’s Mosque, Oosa Olode’s Mosque, Oke Odo Station Road’s Mosque, Olajogun Oke’s Mosque, Idiomo Baale Apena’s Mosque. Boluwaduro Kuta Road’s Mosque, Olorunsogo Apena Road’s Mosque, Oluwo’s Mosque, Ago’s Mosque, Oke Odo, And Station Road’s Mosque. Oke Odo Mosque, Oja Oke’s Mosque, Ikoyi’s Mosque, Ajibesin’s Mosque. Mosque of the Ayedire Local Government Secretariat, Afin Oba’s Mosque, Ekta Imam’s Mosque, etc.
Muslim Students Socienty of Nigeria [M.S.S.N.] in Ileogbo
The Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (M.S.S.N.), Ileogbo wing, is the platform and a union of Muslim students. The indigenes of Ileogbo majorly dominate the association. It was founded in 2002. Its formation resulted from the exposure of youths that had gone out of the town and noticed what was obtainable in their various higher during the rainy season.
Ogun prefers dogs and is worshipped by hunters, drivers, and blacksmiths. Ogiyan festival is held during the new yam season and is always worshipped annually by the people of Gbogbo’s compound in Ileogbo, Egungun, with Moimoin, pap, and fowl. Egungun happens to be one of the most attractive traditional festivals every year as it has its activities scheduled and streamlined by the town traditional council.
There are many of them, among which are: Egungun Apata from Olukolo’s compound; Egungun Obadimeji from Balogun’s compound; Egungun Alapasa from Aresa’s compound; Egungun Oladecbo. Ologbojo from Olujogun’s compound, Egungun Adebiopon from Seriki’s compound.
Ifa is believed to be a wise and intelligent god. It is also being worshipped by some people in the town now. They do have their festival every year. The people are well versed in Ifa and have a unique drum for its celebration. People can worship it with a goat. Ore is also worshipped in the town by some people. The sacred Iroko tree is spectacular as the first setters meet the white cloth with which the tree is rapped. The tree never sheds leaves. There are about four sacred white snakes on the tree.